Saturday 15 December 2012

Oct 26th-Oct 31st - Hurricane Sandy & Halloween!

This was going to be my first Halloween that I wasn't going to be with my parents and I was sad about that but I got this package from home which was so cute and made me cry!


Friday night I went out to Hotel Chantelle with Sarah and our friends Ryan and Nick who she used to work with at Five Napkin. I was Captain America, Sarah was a scarecrow, Ryan was a 70's cop and Nick was a bloody zombie. The place had three levels and we spent some time on the rooftop and some time in the basement where the Halloween party was and it was fun!


That weekend out of nowhere we heard that hurricane Sandy was heading our way and I went to the grocery store to get non-perishable food incase our power went out. The grocery stores were packed and water and a lot of other things were sold out. At the apartment I locked the windows and cleared everything away from the bedroom windows incase they broke. We cooked some pasta so that we could have that to eat and also made Halloween pancakes!

Let's just say we're not top chefs ;)

We were sitting and finishing eating when the lights started flickering. The wind was howling and we were praying the power wouldn't go out but all of a sudden we were in the dark. Luckily we had some candles and flashlights that we lit and we were just going to read books when there was a knock at the door. It was our friend Danielle from the first floor and her roommate who came to hang out since it was scary in the dark with the storm outside, especially for them being on the first floor where there could be flooding. 


It was actually fun being in the dark and the four of of us played Apples to Apples while listening to a battery operated radio. It was scary listening to people talking about everything going on around us though like a transformer exploding, a building wall collapsing and the streets flooding. My loved ones were really worried and of course our cell phones would hardly work. I did get this picture showing what the street our apartment is on looked like... yikes!


The next morning we went outside to see what happened. This is what we saw...


We went with our friends from the first floor to look for a Starbucks to get something warm to drink and charge our phones but we went to several locations all over and none of them had power. Everything around was closed so we went back to the apartment and we cleaned our closets while it was light out. Then our phone's were running low on battery and Danielle said that she was going to work and had power so we walked to Paychex and she let us charge our phones at the office which was nice.


At night we ate a few things that were still good in the refrigerator but that would go bad soon and Danielle came over to hang out. The next day was Halloween!


We walked Ernie outside in his black kitty costume to look like Puma and we dressed Puma up with my scarf!

 

I had to walk about 15 minutes from the apartment to get cellphone service but I called my Dad who was going to Connecticut to help my Grandma and he said that he would pick me up to go to my Grandma's to have heat and shower and of course to visit with them too! Sarah said she could get out of work for the rest of the week so her and Ernie came with us too!

My Grandma loved meeting Ernie and he was curious being in a new place. 


We all ate dinner together that we got delivered to the house which was nice and then we took showers and I got into my costume and we put Ernie into another one!


Before going to bed we watched tv and there was news on the devastation of hurricane Sandy. We were not aware of how bad some of the areas were that were hit and it was shocking and saddening to see. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who was affected by the hurricane! 

No comments:

Post a Comment